Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Turn a Shadowbox into a Charging Station


Several months ago, I had an "AHA" moment when I came across a shadowbox in Michaels on clearance for $9.00 (original price was $60).  I snatched it up quickly but at the time I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until I got home and discovered it would be a perfect charging station if I just flipped it upside down...Let me show you what I did....


I started with a shadowbox just like this from Michaels, except mine was a burgundy color that I painted grey.....



Below are the steps I took to transform a simple shadowbox into a charging station....

{The pictures below were taken after everything was finished.  I lost my camera card with all of the before pictures...sorry}

Step 1 - Take the back off of the shadowbox and flip it over (glass is facing down)


Step 2 - Drill a "pretty" hole in the back for the power strip cord to fit...


Step 3 - Install a power strip through the "pretty" hole you have drilled.....


Step 4 - I used 3M Command Velcro picture hanger strips to the back of the power strip.  Now the power strip can be securely placed on the back of the shadowbox.....




Step 5 - Plug in all of your electronics...


Step 6 -  I replaced the back of the shadowbox with a flat wood platform to hold the cell phones, etc that my Dad built.  He cut 5 notches so the cords could fit in but now slip down and he even built a stand to place the iPad on.....

BEFORE
Here is the ONLY picture I have of it before it was painted....


AFTER
Here is the picture after it was painted and simple labels added.  I got the labels in the scrap booking department at Michaels.


Closer picture of labels.....




Picture of the back of the shadowbox (not the prettiest)..


More pictures......







I even had room to add a decorative little bowl to hold my car keys and loose change.....




I am so happy that I had an "AHA" moment and could not be more thrilled with this project.  The charging station sits on a small kitchen counter and doesn't take up any working space in the kitchen.

Hope you have a great week...thanks for stopping by....

Linking to:


A Bowl Full of Lemons

The 36th Avenue

Weekend Bloggy Reading

Lil\'Luna


Monday Funday at TWCS
By Stephanie Lynn

Skip To My Lou

The Gunny Sack

23 comments:

  1. Now that is about the best idea I've seen in a long time! I tried to "pin" it on Pinterest, but for whatever reason, it wouldn't come up. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this idea. Can I borrow your dad? Does he come to Virginia? Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea!...love that the Ipad charger is included, perfect for the kitchen to follow recipes!I also really like the labels gives it a vintage flair. Stopped by via the Weekly Creative and following across the boards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy,

    Brilliant, it turned out great! It was so fun to see what it looked like before you started and how amazing it turned out once your were done. :-) Thanks for linking up at the Inspiration Gallery!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. So incredibly clever and organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really creative. It looks very organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this! Great job! and thank you so much for sharing it:) I need to create some version to deal with our countertop clutter. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely genius! It looks amazing too! If you get a chance, please link up to my linky party going on now: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunday-linky-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very cool. Fantastic job. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love it when an idea just comes to you like this? It looks great and even better provides a lot of function. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have no idea how much I love this! I need something just like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea! I have been trying to think of a way to store ours for months...this is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-29/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! I love how it hides all the cords and keeps everything nice and tidy. If you're interested, I'd love to have you join our Show & Tell party this week. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/08/show-tell-39-and-important-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is truly awesome!
    I am visiting from Monday Funday Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ty turned out amazing. I would of never thought of doing that, way to think outside the box. We host a link party on Wednesdays and I would love if you stopped by and shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great idea! I'm hosting a giveaway for $100 in throw pillows at my blog. You should swing by and enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/throw-pillow-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so clever! Great job! I jumped over from IHeart Organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am going to make one of these this weekend! Thanks for the "how to"!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so awesome!! :D It looks so good and organised! I absolutely love this idea! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent blog, Congrats to the Web Master, nice colors and text.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge. God bless you.

    Cherry Marmalade Recipe

    Great post. Thanks for sharing!!!! Greetings from Venezuela.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...