Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Well Organized Utility Closet


I am so thrilled to share my latest project with you.  I decided to convert the coat closet in our foyer into an all purpose utility closet.  I needed a place where I could store all of those odds and ends that I seem to use everyday into one central location.  The closet before was just a catch all for alot of useless stuff. Let me take you on a step by step tour of what I did.....


I first started by clearing all of the clutter out of the closet and hanging a piece of scrap pegboard that I found in the garage.


The white pegboard needed a little color so I took a roll of fabric tape (washi tape) and placed it on the board.  I skipped every five rows and place another strip until I got to the end.  Super easy idea to jazz up the boring pegboard.




I wanted all of my tools in one location in the house.  For my family, keeping the tools in the house makes more sense than keeping them in the garage. Unfortunately all of the tools were in different buckets, tool boxes and bins so you never knew where to go to get what.  Well, not anymore.  After a trip to IKEA and making few labels, I now have a central location for all of the tools we need.

This unit is the ALEX unit from IKEA.  You can find it HERE.


I lined each drawer with a clear liner I also purchased from IKEA in the kitchen section.


I took a trip to our local dollar store and scored on all of the drawer accessories.  I ended up spending $35 for everything.


Here are the clear trays from the dollar store.  I ended up going back a couple of days later because I fell in love with these trays.  I have put them in other drawers around my house.




These little jars were 3 for a $1.00.  They were meant to be for spices, but I just removed the little top with all of the holes in them and used them for nuts, bolts, window screen clips, etc.


Placed them on a drawer spice rack that I had an extra of and everything fit perfectly in the drawer.



I bought three of these hardware dividers for all of my nails, screws and accessories.


It was now time to sit and go through all of my toolboxes.  This is what I used to use, but not anymore..


Here is what the drawers looked like after labeling them.  I made these custom labels on my Silhouette Cameo.


Here is a closer look at how each drawer is organized.....












The cabinet fits just perfectly in this small closet.  I placed a basket of cleaning supplies on top, fully equipped with everything I need to clean the house.


The pegboard fits those odd and ends we are always looking for.  Below are more pictures to see what I placed on the board.








I placed command strip hooks on the wall to store my sweepers and mops.



To finish off the closet, I used baskets for some of the bulky items that wouldn't fit in the drawers.

I hope you have enjoyed taking a look at how I transformed a "catch all" closet into a well organized Utility Closet.
Hope you have a great week.
Linking to:

Organizing Made Fun

Lil\'Luna

The 36th Avenue
4 You With Love Party Thyme
Weekend Bloggy Reading




Home Stories A2Z

By Stephanie Lynn

24 comments:

  1. Oh man this is awesome!! I love everything you did here, the pegboard and the cart are just genius in the closet! This is how I need to organize my utility things and tools, thanks so much for the great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe! I love the way that you used the washi tape to create the lines on the pegboard and the spice jars in the spice rack are great! The whole thing is perfection. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how everything came out. I'm always organizing our draws and the hubs keeps messing it up. I would love a closet space like yours.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks fabulous and SO organized!! Totally love! Pinned...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Sliders. Those things are so freakin useful lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW so many great organizing tips and your closet look FABULOUS! You did a great job....you can stop by my house any time and help me organize! ;)

    Three other bloggers and I have joined to create a new link party: The Project Stash. I'd love for you to stop by and link up this post (oh and there's a Shabby Apple Giveaway too!) http://www.4you-withlove.com/2013/06/the-project-stash-1-new-link-party.html

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is great! Thanks for the inspiration, my space could really use some help.

    http://creativeramblingsblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You should be proud of that! A lot of work but oh so worth it. I wish I was there. I'll get there just not today ;) one step at a time.

    PS - i love your little owl "lookie what I did"

    ReplyDelete
  9. PLease, please come help me with my garage mess:) You did such an awesome job here it is organized, user friendly, and pretty too! I really like your blog header, by the way. I made some baby shower invitations a couple of months ago that are super similar to your blog, adorable!If you have a sec this weekend, I have a linky party going on and would love for you to share!
    xxx
    Kim @ Too Much Time On My Hands
    http://too-much-time.com/2013/06/get-schooled-saturday-80.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is organized! Pretty too! You have used some really great ideas and I bet it is so easy to find stuff now. We have lots of storage in our home but are lacking a pantry or broom closet in our kitchen. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have also added your blog to the list of Canadian blogs in my sidebar. I have been following for awhile but didn't realize you are Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job! So organized. I'm going to have to look for those bins for batteries at our dollar store, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously, I love this! What a great new use for a coat closet. And washi tape on the pegboard? So smart. I wish I had an extra coat closet to convert!

    Thanks for linking up at the Remodelaholic weekend party -- we featured you on Facebook and we are SO pinning this :)

    Lorene and Cassity from Remodelaholic.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am swooning over this organization. You used the space brilliantly and doesn't everyone have all tat stuff stashed in odd places around the house? I do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would be so convenient!! Would love for you to link this up to "Think Tank Thursday" which starts tonight at 9:00! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really fantastic! Great idea for the hall closet. I may have to copy it. We would love for you to link up at THE Pin It Party! 1 link=6 blogs: http://tripworthtaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This turned out GREAT! I love the addition of the washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of the best organizing projects I've seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That was a lot of work and great use of space. I like that you used inexpensive organizers from the Dollar Tree (that's our local $ store). I love that store! I bought all sorts of mini things for our road trip and then over packed. Next vacation I'll be better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic! Your pegboard is brilliant. I MUST get one together soon! Visiting from A Thoughtful Place, congrats on your feature!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an improvement! It really makes me want to organize our cleaning closet. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wowzah!! love love this!! i like the pegboards and those clear bins from dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your utility closet is amazing! I love it and you have given me so many ideas. I love every detail. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...