Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Laundry Room Makeover


My family and I recently relocated from Dallas, TX to Calgary, AB and now that all of the boxes are unloaded, I feel like we can finally start to settle in.  You can read about our journey here.  We decided to lease a home in Calgary since we only plan to be here 2 to 3 years.  I am trying little-by-little to make this house a "home" without spending a ton of money or executing any over the top improvements.  After all, we will not have the luxury of benefiting from the improvements once we leave.

With school starting next week, I wanted to make the laundry room dual purpose to maximize the space.  I have always been attracted to the concept of a mudroom and decided to create my own version in this space.  The garage is connected to the laundry room so, it is the primary place we enter the home.  It just makes sense to make this room as comfortable and functional as possible.  

The washer and dryer came with the house.  I originally threw a couple of baskets on the top of the units and called it quits.  After walking through this room each day, I realized more was needed to create a warm and inviting space.  My first step was to create a uniform look for the washer and dryer which would ultimately tie the units with the color scheme of the room.  In order to accomplish this, I built an elevated tabletop to fit on top of the units.  This provided a more balanced platform from which to decorate.   


BEFORE PICTURE


It was important to me to have a central "school zone" for my son.  Soon the weather here will be cold and wet.  As a result, it is essential for me to have a place to put wet or muddy boots, coats and backpacks before entering the house.

Since I did not have much room to work with and wanted to stay within budget, I purchased this bookshelf from IKEA and converted it into a mudroom-type space for him.   



There is a big closet across from the washer and dryer.  We use the space as a place to hang our coats and jackets.  I placed an existing bench in the closet which is a perfect place to put on shoes and skates, as well as a nice area to store baskets of dirty laundry.


Below I have put together picture collages of each zone in the room.


****************


****************


****************


****************


While the room is small, it would have still been way too much to show you all of the fine details, so I have decided to feature the "zones" during this week to highlight details of each project.

I hope that you will check back each day this week to see how I transformed the space......

In Case You Missed it......

Monday


Tuesday


How I made a top for the washer and dryer (here's a hint...it was less than $5.00)  Plus, all of the accessories on top.  

Wednesday


How I converted an IKEA bookshelf into a mudroom type storage unit.

Thursday


How I converted my old craft room peg board into a central storage unit for school items.

Friday


How the closet has been transformed into a perfect seating area for getting ready.

Thanks for stopping by and hope all of you have a great week....My son goes back to school this week and it will be really hard to seem him go...I will be lonely!!!!

Linking to:



28 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, I'm doing mine at the moment as well. I love the school zone as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks great! I love the shelves and peg board. Can't wait for all the details. Thank you for your sweet words last week. My mom is at home and finally improving! Hope your family is doing well- glad to see your craftiness is continuing in Canada!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that Samantha. Thanks for the comments! Hope you have a great week. Our school finally starts this week :(

      Delete
  3. Great laundry room Missy -- can't wait to see more. :)
    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I hope all is going well with all of you in Texas!

      Delete
  4. Everything looks great. I love how organized it all is too. Great job. hugs, jne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great room! And that school/mudroom zone is great! It is amazing how warm and inviting it is now. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, so far it has come in soo handy, just like it is intended...

      Delete
  7. WOW, I am impressed. What a wonderful use of space. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful transformation! It looks so warm and inviting, and I adore all of the little touches you put in place, such as the peg board and labels. You really paid attention to detail!!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    xo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it.

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a beautiful and organized spot now! Love it,
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! My laundry room is totally on my list! This was a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've created a gorgeous and functional space! Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant makeover - your laundry does look so inviting now!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missy! What an awesome transformation! I love everything you've done to make it more organized, so pretty and all of the fabulous storage ideas. I'm sharing a link back in tomorrow's highlights. ;) Thanks so much for sharing your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful AND functional room. A great job-efficient and pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your laundry room! I just found your blog and started following. Stop by and take a look at mine sometime. Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have done such a great job on this room...very functional. Would love to have you come by and enter my current GIVEAWAY…it’s a goodie!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your room - everything looks great!! Where did you find that rug - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. O my - this is so beautiful! I LOVE it!!! I love the baskets and the super cute tags and how you used the bookshelf and the tray/shelf thing on top of the appliances...okay, I'll stop now. I really love it all!! New follower - excited to hear more from you!

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies (stop by if you get a chance - I'd love to get to know you!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog today! Come stop by and grab a featured button: http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/09/your-whims-wednesday-76-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aah! I love before and afters like this!! So awesome! I would LOVE if you would share this at my Crazy Cute Party happening right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway that you could win just for linking up! Come on over! ;D

    Between U & Me

    Oh! And I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brand New follower too! I am sooooooo jealous of your laundry/mudroom! You did an amazing job, really you did! I'd love to have you follow back if you'd like to, and link this amazing transformation up at my link party!

    xoxo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...