Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Laundry Room Makeover Week - Using a Bookcase as a Mud Closet


Today I wanted to share with you how I converted an ordinary IKEA bookcase into my version of a mud closet.  In a perfect world, I would have a custom one built in to my specific needs, but lets face it....that's not gonna happen.  So I did the next best thing I knew to do and that is to convert an IKEA bookshelf to suit our family's needs.  Let me show you how I did it.....


Here is what it started with....a box for IKEA.  You can find the bookcase here on their website.


My husband had the honor of assembling the bookcase, he was so thrilled....


Here it is after it was finished being put together....I decided not use one of the shelves.  The reason is because I was going to put hooks under the first shelf (as seen below) to hang our son's backpack and hats.....


I took ordinary wall hooks and hung them upside down under the shelf.  I got these from Lowe's.



After I put the hooks on, it was time to just add all of the accessories...

All of the baskets came from IKEA and I labeled them using my new Silhouette Cameo.  We are getting ready to start a weather change here in Calgary, so I wanted to make sure that I had everything ready to go.  There are places for all of our scarves, gloves and hats.  There is also a couple of big baskets that have school papers and binders and of course, a miscellaneous basket for all of the extra stuff.  




The bottom two shelves are for our shoes and boots.  


We added two lights to the top just to finish it off.  We got them from IKEA as well and they come in a couple of colors.  Here they are in case you wanted to see.  I think the lights complete the custom look!!


Thanks for stopping by and I hope that this has inspired you to create your own space with a bookshelf!!


In Case You Missed it......

Monday


Tuesday


How I made a top for the washer and dryer (here's a hint...it was less than $5.00)  Plus, all of the accessories on top.  

Wednesday


How I converted an IKEA bookshelf into a mudroom type storage unit.

Thursday


How I converted my old craft room peg board into a central storage unit for school items.

Friday


How the closet has been transformed into a perfect seating area for getting ready.


Home Stories A2Z

11 comments:

  1. How clever! I love the makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a WONDERFUL idea! I love the way you hung the backpacks! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I might pick up a bookshelf from Target and try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute project, Missy! Thanks for linking up to The Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just did one for our entryway with a kilby bookcase from Ikea, but we're missing the hooks. Adding them from the top is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Missy for sharing this fabulous make-over -- over at Craft Junkie Too. It is part of my Featured Favorites for this week's party so I hope you can stop by and check that out and link up again. :)
    Have a great week-end!
    http://www.craftjunkietoo.com/2012/09/tgif-linky-party-66.html

    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. We bought our house just over a year ago, and although we have a nice entry with a large closet, we don't use it. We mainly enter and exit our house through the garage. I've been thinking about how exactly I want to organize stuff near the door, but now I know what to do. Now, I just need Hubster to clean out the garage and make some room! Thanks for the inspiration, I pinned your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really good idea may have to do this one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMAZING idea! LOVE it! Did you anchor the bookshelf to the wall at all or is it pretty sturdy without having to do that? (Don't want to have mine tip over with my three year old around!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...