Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Laundry Room Makeover Week - Counter Top for Washer/Dryer

Today I wanted to cover how the custom counter top was made for the washer and dryer.  If you missed my full post regarding my complete Laundry Room Makeover, you can read about it here.  I decided to break each zone up into separate posts, because I felt it was going to be too much information and detail to cram into one post.  

My Mom and Dad came to visit about a month ago and of course I had a mile long list of work to do for my Dad (per his request).  One of the items on the top of the list was to have him help me build a counter top for the washer and dryer.  I wanted the look of a complete built in, but as I said in the earlier post, our stay here in Calgary is a short assignment, so I didn't want to invest a lot of money into this project.  We first took measurements and then headed to Home Depot to see what we could find.  In the lumber department we stumbled onto the remnant (leftover) section that they discount the items for quick sale.  Laying in the corner was a huge piece of laminate.  I quickly took a double take, because it looked like it was the perfect size.  I asked the manager how much the piece was and he said, "Oh, you can have it...no charge...NO CHARGE!"  The reason it was in that section is because it had a big chunk of the corner tore off.  Would you believe me if I told you after cutting that section off, it fit perfect.  The only thing we had to purchase was the trim and it was $4.15!

Here is a list of what we used:

Sheet of Laminate
Trim
Drawer Knobs
Primer/Sealer
Paint


As soon as we arrived home, Dad needed to cut and miter the trim to fit around the piece of laminate.  After the trim was applied, Dad filled the nail holes with wood filler.


It was now time for priming.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.  Paint DOES NOT ADHERE to laminate at all.  It is important to prepare your surface with a primer/sealer.  I used Zinsser Primer Sealer and you can find it at Home Depot or here.



I decided to use my Annie Sloan chalk paint in Graphite to paint the piece after the primer had dried overnight.  


Here is the counter top with two coats of chalk paint before waxing.


I had some leftover drawer knobs from the hutch I re purposed and simply painted them and used E6000 glue to adhere them to the bottom of the countertop.  This gave it the exact elevation I was trying to achieve.  The trim hangs down enough that it actually hides the knobs.


I put two coats of Annie Sloan clear soft wax on the piece and then wiped it down with a soft rag.



Finished Product


List of Accessories 

Wood Caddy - Purchased at yard sale
Jars - IKEA
Basket - IKEA
Plant - IKEA
Rug - IKEA
Stain Removal Guide - Martha Stewart

All of the vinyl lettering came from using my Silhouette Cameo!





In Case You Missed it......

Monday


Tuesday


How I made a top for the washer and dryer (here's a hint...it was less than $5.00)  Plus, all of the accessories on top.  

Wednesday


How I converted an IKEA bookshelf into a mudroom type storage unit.

Thursday


How I converted my old craft room peg board into a central storage unit for school items.

Friday


How the closet has been transformed into a perfect seating area for getting ready.




6 comments:

  1. Great job!! Love that your dad gives requests for work to be done..how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Such an awesome transformation, love all the little details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Where did you get the "got stains" stickers and is that paper glued to the wall ? Would you be able to give us your secrets on stain removing plz:D?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great directions and your laundry room looks great. One question, I have been reading about chalk paint and milk paint and the wax...question is does the wax get sticky and what do you use to clean the top? Does wax need to be reapplied?
    It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...