Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Merry Christmas Welcome...

Here is an article I recently did for Southlakemoms.com..hope you enjoy...

The cooler weather in Texas is the first indicator that Christmas is just around the corner.  The front porch is usually the first thing I decorate, and yes, I do it before Thanksgiving.  While I am far from a professional, let me share with you my front porch for the upcoming holiday season.


The first step in hanging the pre-lit garland is to string heavy-duty wire around the doorframe.  I accomplish this by drilling about 8 screws evenly spaced around the frame.  The wire serves as a solid base to which to attach the garland.  After the garland is hung, I weave the mesh around the garland.  All that is left is to attach ornaments to the garland using floral wire.

Last year I made these elf legs to hang from the mantle.  My son loved them so much that I decided to use them again this year but outside.  I plan on making three more sets for the inside of my house to represent Dad, Mom and Son.
The 'Santa stop here' sign was a quick and easy addition to my decorations this year.  I like to make a sign each year to keep the decorations new and interesting for family and friends.  My dad cut the wood for me this past summer.  I simply painted the sign red and used my vinyl cutting machine to make the letters.  After I adhered the vinyl, I applied glue and glitter to add some sparkle.  The lollipops are for yard decorations and I got them at my local craft store.  I simply put them in silver buckets and secured with styrofoam in the bucket, covered with snow and hot glued the ribbon around the buckets.


My wreath is just that with a little extra embellishing and Christmas lights.  I have owned this same wreath for years.  Each year I change the decoration a bit to freshen things up.  Last year, I had colored ornaments all over it.  This year, I decided to take my metal 'Merry Christmas' tag and secure it with wire!  


I hope you have enjoyed looking around my front porch.  I hope it inspires you to create something special for your guests.  Decorating does not have to be expensive if you just use a little creativity.

Thanks for stopping by and from my family to yours....I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

Linking to:

http://organizeyourstuffnow.com/wordpress/
http://www.the36thavenue.com/2011/12/party-in-style-with-shabby-apple-giveaway.html
Home Stories A2Z

13 comments:

  1. Amazing! You have the best front porch :) So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to discover your blog Missy! We would be good friends! I'm going to become a follower. You'll probably enjoy my blog too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love how you decorate your front door for all occasions! This one turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhh i love love love it!!! it looks beautiful!! new visitor :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun and festive! Great job! Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so adorable, I love it all, thanks for sharing. I will follow on my way out so as I would love to visit again. I hope you will find the time to come visit my place and do the same. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and I look forward to engaging and supporting your blog in the New Year. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some really cute and clever ideas! This would be a great add to my door party that ends tomorrow. I'm pinning, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is gorgeous!! So unique. Thank you for sharing. I am your newest follower and I look forward to reading more of your posts! I would appreciate it if you took a moment to stop over at my blog and followed me back. Thank you! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how playful and festive! I love the whimsical, joyous charm your decked out front door sings out to the neighborhood, it's great! I'm sure everyone that strolls past your home smiles! I'd be thrilled if you popped by to share this post, and any others you'd like to show off at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun, cute and festive!!! I am sharing on my CSI Project FB page!!!

    www.thecsiproject.com

    Smiles,
    Dee, the CSI Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous! I love the garland that goes around the door especially. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving the elf legs. Got a tutorial? I am all about the striped stockings, etc. this year, and those are so cute! All of your decor is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...