Friday, September 9, 2011

Witches Hat

I was shopping the other day and came across the cutest witches hats.  They ranged in price from $25.00 to $50.00, but I knew that it would be fun to make my own so I hopped on over to Hobby Lobby to get the supplies.  

Here is what I got:
  • Sheet of Black Poster board - $.89
  • 1 yard of Black Velveteen - $3.00
  • 1/2 yard of Orange Tulle - $.75
  • 1 Orange Boa - $4.00

I started off by free handing a cone onto my poster board.  I used an old birthday hat from my son to get an idea of how it needed to be traced.  It doesn't have to be perfect because you are going to cover it with the velveteen.



I then folded the poster board in half and started cutting.




Here is what I came up with.  I wrote my measurements on there just in case I needed them for future reference.


I laid the cone down and then sprayed my Krylon Easy Tack spray to one side.



I then laid it down on the wrong side of the velveteen.


I did the same thing to the circle.  I used a plate charger as my pattern and then cut it out.  I used a heavier card stock that I had on hand.  I also just sprayed it with the Easy Tack and glued it to the fabric.





After the two pieces were covered, I trimmed around both pieces and hot glued the cone together (I didn't get pictures of that step, sorry).  I then glued the cone to the base with hot glue.


I glued the orange feather boa around the base and took the extra left over and stuffed it in the top of the hat securing it with hot glue.  I then just embellished it with pearls and rhinestones I had on hand in my scrapbooking supplies.  I glued a spider I picked up at Home Goods for added bling!


I love the way it turned out and hope you feel inspired to create your own!


Have a great day!

Linking to:

5 comments:

  1. I love your hat. I have one ready for me to decorate. Can't wait!!!
    I am following you now.
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I have tried to make a witch hat, but it is harder than it looks. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love Halloween and this is darling! Thanks for sharing! If you have time, I'd love to have you link to my party at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-stop-thursday-linky-party.html! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!
    I have been wanting to make one of these for the center of my dinning table this year.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the witches hat! I found you through Blissful and Domestic's blog spotlight on you, and I'm so glad I did! I'm a new follower :) www.aperfectlycrazylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...