Monday, September 19, 2011

Decorating with Beans

I know you are going to think I am crazy...but with a little imagination and experimenting you can decorate with beans!  I was looking for something to put into my apothecary jars for Halloween but I did not want to spend a fortune on candy that would sit in a jar and not get eaten.  I decided to take a bag of White Navy Beans (sorry, I did not get a picture) and dye them with food coloring and here is what I got.

                Supplies Needed
    • 2 lb. bag of white navy beans - $1.50 at grocery store
    • A tube each of red and yellow food coloring
    • Large Ziploc bag
    • Newspaper, wax paper or parchment paper for drying out


Start by pouring the beans in a Ziploc bag.


Drop in some red and yellow food coloring. It does not have to be exact, you can
add more later if your color isn't where it needs to be.
(See Below)


After massaging and working the beans around, this is what you will have...
ORANGE BEANS


After all the beans are coated, pour them onto your newspaper, wax paper or 
parchment paper (whatever you have on hand).


I let mine dry over night.  They might cluster together, but that is okay.  I let my
son break them up and play with them before I decorated my jar.

Here you go.  I altered the orange beans with a 2 lb. bag of black beans.




I experimented this summer with pinto beans.  I love the color turquoise.  If you take a bag of pinto
beans with red and blue food coloring, this is what you get.






These are great fillers for jars, trays or even a glass candle jar.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you feel inspired to go color some beans.  

Linking to:






27 comments:

  1. Hey, if you can decorate with rice why can't you decorate with beans, right?! Love it -- very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! What a great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea. I love the look of the black and orange beans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I featured you on my facebook page today I loved it so much
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Creative-Raisins/175822502467779

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across your blog and love your ideas. You are so creative. I have a link party on Wednesdays if you would like to link up. Hope to see you there.
    new follower,
    Kim
    www.thesasselife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ingenious! May I copy you? (I'm being polite, because you know I'm going to do this!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I will put this on my to do list!

    jensennp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is genius! Who would have thought to dye beans and decorate them! Love this project. I'm your newest follower and would love if you joined us over at Sew Woodsy and link this up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to try this for sure! Thanks for sharing it! Stopping by from Sew Woodsy link party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Great! I am definitely going to do this! And I am LOVING that chippy hutch! Awesome! Saw ou at the Shabby Creek cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is genius! I bow down to your creativity! I am pinning this idea. I am a new follower from Blue Cricket Design. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genius! I'm going to pin this so I can remember to use the idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! If we have candy it gets eaten by ME! I can't be trusted. This would be perfect.
    Thank you for the great idea.
    www.projectqueen
    PS I have a linky party on Tuesday. Come over and share something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love! I would be thrilled if you linked up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/09/wickedly-creative-halloween-ideas-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these beans & what you did to them! I wanted to let you know that I featured this project today on Sew Woodsy! Come on over and grab a sparkling new featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have been coloring pasta and rice but needed a new food group - and these look amazing! We'll be buying beans at the store tomorrow! Thanks for a great post - I pinned it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you can decorate with rice, then it will be looks more great. I decorate it with beans, vegetables and some of the fruits. I am a new follower from Blue Cricket Design.
    printed stickers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never thought of dying beans. Looks great!

    Melissa
    www.lovebugliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I absolutely LOVE this idea! I've started a new blog and have featured it. It is at:

    http://frugal-home-design.blogspot.com/2012/01/decorating-with-glas-jars.html

    Thank you so much for sharing this really neat project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for every one of your labor on this blog. My niece takes pleasure in making time for investigation and it's easy to understand why. A lot of people hear all relating to the powerful medium you provide sensible thoughts through this website and as well as cause contribution from other individuals on the matter and our daughter is without a doubt becoming educated a lot. Enjoy the remaining portion of the new year. Your conducting a great job.
    Splatter Screen Case Pack 72

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder how it would look with red and green (separate like the black and orange) for Christmas? Have you tried straight red?

    ReplyDelete
  23. How do you create the black beans?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...